Today’s writing exercise is to create a Mission Statement for your blog. Make it as personal as you like., and cross-post it to the class blog by Monday, September 15. On the class blog, ask two other people a productive question about their mission statement that will help those bloggers clarify, and even rewrite, their mission statement. If you can, choose one that has not yet been commented on until all mission statements have been commented on.
- Alex Sayfe Cummings and Jonathan Jarrett, “Only Typing? Informal Writing, Blogging and the Academy,” Jack Dougherty and Kristen Ed., Writing History in the Digital Age (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2013.)
- Graham Lampa, “Imagining the Blogosphere: An Introduction to the Imagined Community of Instant Publishing,” Into the Blogosphere: Rhetoric, Community and Culture of Weblogs (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 2004).
- Crunk Feminist Collective, “Mission Statement,” March, 2010.
- Chauncey DeVega, “Disclaimers and Comment Policy,” We Are Respectable Negroes, no date.
- DRockTransMan vlog (video blog), “FTM ~ Daniel ~ Binding & Dan Goes to the Dentist,” February 28 2O13
Daniel’s channel, with all vlog entries, can be found here.
Workshop exercise: we will work to refine our mission statements and create our blogrolls. At the end of class, each blogger should have a list of 10-15 blogs to link to.
At the end of class, please fill out the following poll: